Star Trek (10 Warps out of Ten) (The Best Movie of 2009)

Having pretty much been a Trekkie most of my life, I was naturally excited by this movie. I wasn't expecting it to be a masterpiece, but I did expect it to be at least good. What I got was not only great, but what I would also call a mind blowing experience.

Star Trek starts off with an opening scene that shows the birth of James T. Kirk, the death of his father, and certain events that lead to extremely cool looking battles, that are not only bad-ass, but keep you at the edge of your seat. I usually don't give movies credit for cool looking effects, but these are not cool-looking effects, these are the best visual effects I have seen in any Sci Fi Movie. The action sequences are not only chaotic, but so freakin intense, that I was actually awed by the scale of these battles.

The plot follows the story of James T. Kirk, before he became Captain of the enterprise. What really does stand out is the characters. Each character has a personality that gives them a sense of realism. Kirks rebelious hate of being told what to do, McCoy's constant sense of negativity, and Spock's constant problems with hiding emotions, breathes life into these characters.

Star Trek, is a phenomenom that completely changed the culture of our world. The original series may have not gotten the attention it deserved, but the series sparked 5 new series, and a dozen movies that really made this franchise successful. This movie, is clearly the high point of the franchise. It has an extremly well done story with well done characters that engage in the most bad ass action scenes ever. Regardless of your knowledge of this franchise, this is a movie that you shouldn't pass up.

0 comments: (+add yours?)